Morning sickness during pregnancy is largely caused by hormonal changes, however vitamin deficiency, low blood sugar, strong smells, foul odors, lack of exercise, fatigue, stress, constipation, anxiety and worry all add to it as well.
Feeling sick in early pregnancy is more common with your first pregnancy, if it’s a girl, or if you’re carrying multiple babies.
Morning sickness usually turns up at around 6 weeks and lasts until around 12-14 weeks for most people, although some have it start earlier and feel sick right through to labor.
Some of the natural morning sickness remedies below will help immediately, others help work on possible underlying causes.
If you really can’t keep food down while you are pregnant you should see your doctor. Some pregnant mothers get a condition called Hyperemesis Gravidarum and need to be hospitalized and given IV fluids to re-hydrate.
20 Natural Ways to Treat Morning Sickness
1. Increase B-complex vitamins and iron intake. Vitamin B-6, taken as 25 mg every 8 hours, has been shown to have a significant effect in reducing or stopping nausea and vomiting.
2. Take zinc supplements, 25 mg per day
3. Sip on some raspberry leaf, peppermint, or anise tea.
4. Eat or drink ginger – Cut or grate some ginger root and pour hot water over it, then drink as a tea. or take ginger root in capsule form. Drink flat, room temperature ginger beer or ginger ale. Chew on crystallized ginger. Eat some ginger chews.
6. Eat a protein-rich snack, especially right before bed. Better yet, look at swapping to a low carb, high fat, high nutrient diet
7. Exercise. Go for a walk or enjoy some mild exercise to relieve hormonal activity.
8. Eat before rising. Keep a box of crackers by your bed and eat a few before getting out of bed in the morning.
9. Avoid spicy, fried, rich, fatty, and greasy foods. Also avoid any caffeine or artificial sweeteners.
10. Suck on 1 drop of peppermint oil on a sugar cube. (Or drop the entire sugar/oil concoction into your tea.)
11. Wear motion sickness wrist bands like these.
12. Get some Rescue Remedy and use it regularly.
13. Eat 5 to 6 small, frequent meals every few hours throughout the day. Make sure to have protein and fat with any carbohydrates to maintain blood sugar. Try not to eat too much at a time, but also avoid an empty stomach.
14. Drink brewer’s yeast and tomato juice with lemon.
15. NAP! Being over tired makes morning sickness worse.
16. Drink ice cold lemonade or chew ice.
17. Get acupuncture or acupressure treatments.
18. Chew on fennel seeds.
19. Stay hydrated. If water won’t stay down, try frozen natural juice Popsicles, frozen grapes or simple ice chips.
20. Avoid anything that could potentially raise your estrogen higher – reusing plastic drink bottles, using plastic in the microwave, farmed fish or any animal fed soy products, Soy products.
If you are finding the nausea overwhelming talk with your health care professional, there are some anti emetics that are considered safe during pregnancy if they are really required.